Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default Repair wrought iron railing? - finally done

"Lee" wrote in message
. ..

Lee wrote:
Another non-DIY question. The house I'm getting ready to sell has a
wrought iron railing on the porch steps - about 3 steps worth from the
sidewalk to the cement porch. Sometime last yr the end upright piece
broke (square hollow piece, not one of the twisty spindle things). The
two ends still "touch" but it's apparently broken through.

Follow-up to this problem. I ended up replacing both the hand rail and two
iron columns in the back, the kind with the scrolls in the middle, used to
hold up an awning. The magic word was awning. I found a local place that
installs aluminum awnings, and got them to look at replacing the columns
with aluminum ones. AND they replaced the railing for me with an aluminum
one. They don't normally do railings, but said they will for a customer if
asked.

So, the cost from the expensive custom wrought iron company would have
been $1400 for two plain columns and one plain rail. The cost from the
awning company was $450 for the same items, complete with scrolls in the
columns. It's not the type of neighborhood where people necessarily expect
ornate wrought iron. (Shoot a rail in the next block looks to be made of
pipe), so I'm very happy with this solution.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

It's incredible what they want (notice I didn't say GET) today for
ornamental metal. I won't call it wrought iron, because it's paper and glue
in comparison.

When I got married about five years ago, my wife wanted two new security
doors, about eight feet wide and seven feet high. They wanted $1600 each.
I said I'd buy a welder and some tools and do it for less. I did so, and
made all kinds of other gates and things. Saved money and still own the
equipment. I was a steel erection contractor for nine years. I understand
there's a lot of hidden costs and there still has to be a profit margin.
But on some jobs, it comes down to simple robbery.

And greed.

Steve