Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Mixing metals in water pipes

On Apr 15, 3:14*am, "Bob F" wrote:
I've done a bit of research on the subject. They say don't connect copper to
galvanized. Some sites say to use a dielectric union between then. Some say
brass can be used instead. I've seen dielectric unions with a hard copper wire
connected to both pipes - seems like that would defeat the purpose of the union,
but does code require it?

I currently have galvanized pipes with galvanized pipe coming into the house,
and am planning to replace the inside pipes with copper. There is a brass valve
at the entry. Do I need a dielectric union connected to that valve? Or can I
just connect copper to it? Should I use dielectric unions at the water heater?

What really fails when galvanized and copper pipe are connected together? The
copper? The galvanized? The joint itself?

Is it important to use copper hangers for copper pipe?

Seattle water, if it matters.http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/util/ste.../@spu/@ssw/doc...

I think the copper wire allows the pipe to continue to be a ground,
when someone used copper to galvanised on my pipe it deteriorated and
looked bad fast and I replaced it, on a water heater a thermal break
is needed to help to keep heat in the heater.