Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default O.T. Step Potential ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

Going back to the step potential question, thanks all for your thoughts. You
all seem to understand it pretty much as I (thought I) did. I think that the
concentric circles thing is just an attempt at simplification so that it
makes for an 'interesting' and understandable in principle article in a
company mag for general reading by everyone i.e. office staff, managers,
those in the field and so on. I think we'll settle on there being a
potential gradient between the downed cable's point of contact with the
ground, and the points around it where the land sinks back to inert ground
potential.

snip

Geoff,

You didn't answer my question from my previous reply: does the article
imply or depict "expanding" equipotential rings around the downed
cable over time, thus implying some electro-chemical effect that
makes the area more dangerous over time?

Michael