Silvan

Default Just starting need info or help

Fred McClellan wrote:

Be _really really really_ careful about shed kits.

On the one hand, I actually paid $500 for a stupid plastic 7'x 7' shed
because I was in a big hurry to get something up, and I thought it would be
easy (and those shed kits you speak of all looked so very crappy.) (Trying
to get the crap out of my 10x12 shed so it could be a dedicated shop...)
After three days, I was ready to take a sledge hammer to the stupid thing.
Actually, I did, but luckily it was high-impact plastic. Total pain in
the ass all the way around, and for the space I got, it was nowhere close
to worth the effort. (I guess these things are OK if you have a concrete
slab handy. If the surface isn't 100% level, the damn thing ain't going to
go together, and that's all there is to it.)

On the other, my neighbor. Bought some lumber, some pre-fab trusses (I
think, won't swear to it--he might have built the trusses when I wasn't
looking), some windows, and a big roll-up door. Spent a few weekends
beating and hammering. His shop is something like 15x20, well-lit, 12'
ceiling, heat, A/C, the whole nine yards. I'm not sure if he drew it on
paper or what, but that dude has some skills, let me tell ya. He paid $800
for the whole shebang. $800.

I think when the time comes to replace my shop with a bigger one, I'm going
to see if I can pay my neighbor to help me design and ensure that I don't
screw up the building of the thing. I'll leave those shed kits at the
store.

The only sad part of this story is that he doesn't have anything good in
there. A huge compressor to run air tools, and a big industrial sewing
machine. He re-upholsters furniture for fun. His woodworking is strictly
carpentry. Not that there's anything wrong with his carpentry!!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16633 Approximate word count: 498990