Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Draining heating system

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:53:29 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I need to drain a heating system, or at least the top floor. Trouble is
the pipework which is all under the floor raises about 6" out of the
floor before going into the duct which takes it downstairs. So no amount
of draining from downstairs is actually going to empty the upstairs
pipework -- only the radiators.

Anyone got any ideas on emptying the pipework? I can cut into it under
the floor (actually, the reason for draining it is to move towel rail
connection to it, so I will be cutting it anyway). Obviously don't want
it pouring through the ceiling below though, as it's literally just been
decorated. Not sure if I can get any sizable container under it. Don't
have a wet vac.

(Pleased to say that when I designed and installed my own heating
system, I arranged that all the pipework slopes down to the drain
points, specifically to avoid exactly this sort of situation.)

I think you'll find that a good bit of the water will syphon out of the
upstairs pipework especially if you can get the downstairs drain cock
fully open.

To remove the last bit you need to find a container than fits under the
pipe and which you can remove and keep level (much harder). A small nick
where you will cut the pipe with a junior hacksaw should make a a
controllable means of draining the dregs, hopefully the sum total will be
less than a bucket full.

If you have a length of sparky tape you should be able to close the hole
temporarily to empty the bucket if needed.