Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] blackevilweredragon@gmail.com is offline

Default cleaning video drum

On Apr 15, 1:07*am, (Dave Platt) wrote:
I got a VCR that was in a house fire, and it's video drum has smoke
damage.

It doesn't feel smooth, but isn't rough enough to where it seems to be
damaging tapes. *Matter of fact, it records and plays just fine.

But I want to clean the drum. *How can I clean it?

alcohol and cotton

AACK. *Everything I have ever read, warns against attempting to clean
a VCR drum or heads with cotton (*especially* not Q-tips!). *There's
far too much chance of snagging the (fragile) head subassemblies with
the cotton, or leaving a few fibers in the space around the heads. *A
displaced, ripped-out, or otherwise destroyed head and thus a ruined
drum are all too likely.

The procedure I have seen recommended, and have used successfully, is
to use electronics-grade isopropyl alcohol, and either a flat-head
chamois-tipped swab, or a non-woven electronic cleaning pad such as a
Chempad (these are presaturated with isopropyl). *Hold the
alcohol-dampened swab or pad flat against the side of the drum, with
*gentle* pressure, and use one finger of your other hand to *slowly*
rotate the drum in its normal direction of rotation. *Rotate it three
or four times, stop, remove the pad or swab, switch to the clean side
of the pad or swap (re-moisten if necessary) and repeat. *Do this with
fresh swabs or pads until you get no further residue from the drum or
heads.

--
Dave Platt * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * AE6EO
Friends of Jade Warrior home page: *http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior

I've tried to clean it, but nothing is coming off.. Not even the
slightest bit.

It's as if it's caked on there pretty good.,