Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default cleaning video drum

"WOLF SLAYER" wrote in message
alcohol and cotton

wrote:
I got a VCR that was in a house fire, and it's video drum has smoke
damage.

It doesn't feel smooth, but isn't rough enough to where it seems to be
damaging tapes. Matter of fact, it records and plays just fine.

But I want to clean the drum. How can I clean it?

Here is the condition of the drum:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/tapehead.jpg

It's been a long time since I've worked on a VCR, but I use strips of clean
white paper dipped in alcohol. Press firmly against the drum and rotate,
being careful to hold the paper still so you don't break the head chips.
Repeat with new paper until they quit getting dirty.