Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default Spam in this group, Why us?

wrote:
On Apr 14, 11:05 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
I subscribe to about eight usenet newsgroups that reflect my various
interests, and they have varying degrees of spam. Some have none,
some have a little and then there is rec.woodworking the champion by
far.

Wonder why that is? Is the criteria some level of posting activity or
do they think we are all dumb enough to consider the pitch.

Inquiring minds.....

Frank

I'm right there with you, Frank. I subscribe to three or four more
besides this one, and this ng is as bad as it gets. Usually these
torrents of spam seem to subside after a couple of months as most that
have been here for a while know.

I don't recall it being this bad for this long. Over on the barbecue
ng, nothing. Same with woodturning. The only thing I can think of is
that this is a higher activity group than either of those two, making
it a better target.

Robert

FWIW, I get almost no spam. In this NG, maybe 12 pieces a week.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird (free) and aioe.org (also free). I assume the
server does most of the filtering, and I've done some active filtering
inside Tbird.

YMMV

--

Tanus