Fred McClellan

Default Just starting need info or help

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:27:16 -0400, Tony Gagnon
wrote:

Over this past winter I built a 10 x 14 shed. It has 8 ft high walls,
built with rough cut lumber. The walls are 2 x 4, 16 on center. I used
1 x 14 planks for the walls with batton strips. I put a metal roof on
it. the floor is pressure treated 2 x 6 with 3/4 ply. the floor is the
only wood that is not rough cut. The entire thing, including nails and
cinder blocks, cost me $450. Have lowes or home depot beat that. The
"shed" has since become my shop.

Tony

ScottnDess wrote:
im looking into buying one of those sheds from lowes for around 198$ its small
but i guess i could make some mod's on it. a window and a place for a small ac
unit.and my Grandfather-in-law is an electrician...so perhaps he can run power
to it..

Thanks everyone

Scott.

Be _really really really_ careful about shed kits.

I made the mistake of buying a 10' x 10' x 18' shed because I didn't
have the time to do it the right way.

Bad idea.

I was out of town for two weeks when it was delivered, and Herself
didn't think to have our handyman take a close look at it.

1. The thing arrived on two 4' x 6' pallets. So yes, there is no
piece of lumber longer than 6' in the entire structure.

2. It is 2" x 3" lumber throughout. Nothing you can buy to
finish out that shed fits - electrical boxes, windows, nada. I have
the strangest looking white vinyl double-insulated windows you have
ever seen. They're about an inch thicker than the walls. I hid that
by trimming the windows inside and out with 1 x 2 on 1 x 4. No one
has noticed the double trim.

3. The book said 11 hours to put it up. Try three days, and I needed
two helpers to get it done in that time. I had to toss about 10% of
the structural pieces due to extreme warp and bow.

4. I used R30 insulation, and had a lot of fun stuffing it into the 2"
x 3" walls. Had to use 1/4" ply to keep the interior from bulging.

It's up and working, but it was a lot more expensive than a custom
shed would have cost (I know, I checked). If you don't look to
closely, it doesn't look bad from the outside, and from the inside I
just tell folks I ran the wiring conduit on the walls to make it
easier to extend a circuit if I need to.

[yeah . . . sure]

Be _really really really_ careful about shed kits.
Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the dash plumber at mindspring dot com