Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default Si-diodes in Second World War radar & Communication equipment

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:41:52 +0200, "Neodymium"
wrote:

"Don Bowey" skrev i melding
On 4/12/08 9:31 AM, in article
, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:51:10 +0200, "ronwer"
wrote:

Hi!

I am doing a study into the early use of silicon diodes in radar and
communication equipment during the Second World War.

What I would be interested in is as follows:

-type numbers of the diodes

---
1N23 is a good place to start.

I still have one, wrapped in the lead foil that was surplused from
some earlier WE microwave relay equipment. From the looks of it, it was
probably made for 'White Alice'.

In which case it was likely used in the FPS19 radar or/and the Tropo
systems
if my memory isn't fractured. But the early Projects were begun in the
50s.

John's post reprogrammed my erroneous thought that the 1N23 is germanium.
It is the 1N21 that is germanium, and likely existed in the 40s.

I googled for 1N23, some say germanium, others silicon...

But you are sure it IS silicon!?

---
http://www.advancedsemiconductor.com...ntactMixer.pdf

And, here's a _good_ one: