Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default shelves on plasterboard wall

Fred wrote:

I have run out of space to store my cds and dvds. I've looked in the
shops but not found anything suitable (do you know of anything?). So I
was thinking of putting up some shelves, which I might enclose to make
a cupboard. That way, it would keep the sun off them and stop them
fading. It would be quite a decent size, almost like building a
wardrobe.
The walls are plasterboard. I was going to use those slotted bars that
you slide brackets into for the shelving. Can I use plasterboard or
hollow wall anchors to hold these tot he wall, or would I be best
finding the studs to "future-proof" it against heavier loads? If so,
can anyone recommend a decent stud detector?

What would I use to fix the cupbaord to the wall?

I had this problem a few weeks ago when fitting a kitchen in a new
house. It included 4 shelves going round 2 plasterboard walls.

These walls were the flimsiest walls I have come across since doing this
for a job.
I knew they were plasterboard walls, so bought a selection of fittings
from Screwfix in case of any problems. Of 4 or 5 types tried, only 1
fixing actually worked well - very similar to this one he
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11143/...s/Hollow-Wall-
Anchor-5-x-72mm-16-32mm-Pack-of-10

I got them from the local hardware store - the longest available,
probably 80mm long, maybe 100mm. They do not have a minimum wall
thickness, which I think some of the Screwfix ones do.
Once fitted, they were rock solid when tightened - fit them first
without shelf brackets, make sure they are tight, then just unscrew, and
refit - can be used many times, as they are a set screw, not a wood type
screw.

Of the other fittings he
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100067/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings

I could not recommend any for thin plasterboard walls. I tried most of
them, and all failed miserably.
Also, ITYF that the spacing between the stud fixings is nowhere near the
spacing you want to secure the cupboard, so at least one end will be
secured into the cavity.
Alan.