Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default How to cut railroad ties?

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I need to crosscut a few railroad ties for landscaping, and maybe make
a couple crude half-lap joints. I've got a light-duty chain saw, an
old circular saw, and some hand saws.

Any advice? Better ways?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Be very careful on the ends if they are very old ties. There is an 'S'
shaped piece of metal used to keep the end from splitting. It's easy to
spot from the end. It should be about an inch wide. One other thing is to
look carefully at where the tie plates were spiked to the tie. Sometimes
the spike heads snap off leaving the shank in the wood. I worked on the
railroad for seven years back in the '70's so some of this may have changed
but it's still good to be as safe as you can be.