Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Building Regs Full Plans - when is payment due?

"jim" wrote in message
Hi all

We engaged a professional to prepare, submit and negotiate to final
decision a "full plans" Building Regs application - the plans duly
went in to BC and *very* shortly after a bill arrived from said
designer asking for payment of the agreed fee in full on short terms.

Given that (AFAIK) no negotiation (if any required) has had chance to
happen yet, and no decision from BC is due for another 6weeks - would
you pay the designer in full?

At the mo' I don't feel like coughing up essentially "in advance" -
any comments/suggestions what to do?

NB We don't want to rattle cages too hard as we hope to use their
contacts to get the work done....

You get back with them, remind them that the engagement was to include the
negotiation to final decision and ask why they are asking for money in
advance of the final decision - remind them that you will be relying on
their best efforts if any negotiation is required, and this is at least as
much part of the contract as the preparation of the plans.

You could offer to pay them an appropriate amount (mebbe 50%) for work
completed to date - with remainder payable on notification of final
decision.