Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:15:53 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

RoyJ wrote:
After reading the other comments I think you have multiple issues
going on to switch from diesel to gasoline:
-the gasoline will have a MUCH lower viscosity, you are going to get
way different (more)amounts of fuel through the injector. I'd think
that is what causes the white smoke a lousy performance, it's too rich.

I don't think that would be the case as unlike a petrol engine the
diesel uses a positive displacement pump for the injection AFAIK so
injected fuel quantity wouldn't be effected by the viscosity.

Except on "common rail" engines which use a timed injector on constant
pressur instead of positive displacement.

-at the same time, gasoline has lower fuel value per gallon or
milliliter, same volume of fuel will cause the engine to go lean,
never a good thing
-gasoline has a much higher flame front speed, ie it will detonate,
really does bad things to the top of the piston.
-gasoline has no lubricating qualities, will tear up a standard
injector pump in short order.

Very interesting discussion. I've been asked to be the project manager
for an alternate fuels project based around a 100kw Cat diesel
generator. Fire up on a new fuel, check for short term issues, go to a
50% load then 100% load for 8 to 24 hours, then tear down and look for
damage. Looks like I would be spending more time than planned dealing
with the injector pump. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Sorry about the OT, but, I do contribute once in a while and this is
such a knowledgeable group!

Many decades ago (1950's) when people talked about diesel engines
(lot of this talk was from 'old country' poor Europeans), they would
always tout the fact that they (the engines) would run on anything.
The list, if I remember correctly included diesel, gas, lighter
fluid, heating oil, liquefied lard, charcoal lighter, veggie oil
etc., etc., etc.

If any of the above is true, why don't people, today, put gasoline
into their diesel engines, considering the higher cost of diesel fuel?

Just want to know what would happened if you did use gasoline.
BTW, my only diesel is my small Kubota tractor.

Thanks for replies.

Ivan Vegvary