Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 06:25:41 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

Ed. as always, I appreciate your response. I used to run a bit of
diesel in old gasoline engines before computers and what not. I'm
sure it was as ignorant as adding gasoline to diesel fuel.

I was believing your frank, honest style, but the technical
article just made it dance. Thanks. I wish more people would
limit their comments to facts, not hyperbola.

A bit of diesel or stove-oil was commonly used as an "upper cyl
lubricant" in years gone by. On Mopar Flatties they'd run well on 20%
stove oil and stink like crazy. Just don't forget to downshift and
make it lug at low RPMs. Then they'd knock something awfull, and
smoke. At medium engine speeds, even under heavy load, they were OK.