Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula Hugo Nebula is offline

Default Any Health & Safety experts in the group? (OT)

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 19:27:04 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, "John"
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I was in a city centre chain store today and saw a display stand part way up
a staircase (at a turn). It looked wrong and I rather forcefully told a
member of staff that it was wrong and should be moved immediately! (pompous
git)

My 2p:

If the stair was a 'protected stair' i.e., approached through fire
doors at each landing (whether held open by détents or not), leading
ultimately to a final exit, then there should be no combustible
materials nor anything which reduces the clear width of the stair and
landing within that enclosure. If the stair is in an opening between
floors in the middle of the shop, it's just an accommodation stair and
isn't essential to the means of escape (unless the shop is a small
shop over two storeys of less than 280m^2/floor, the stair discharges
to within 3m of the final exit from the shop and it's the only stair
in the building).

Next time, you could speak to the manager and suggest that they check
the position of the display against their Fire Safety Risk Assessment.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"