Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Waterjet cutters

Why not have coated brass. A layer of blue film or such - then
a reflection of wavelength matching anything would be nominal.
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

David Billington wrote:
Todd Rich wrote:
Ronald Thompson wrote:
(snip)

Would it need to be waterjet? The reason I ask is we have an awesome
Amada laser at work and it turns out beautiful work very fast. (not
looking for new work)
Also for the material and number of pieces, I don't think location
is a problem. I don't think shipping would be cost prohibitive.

No, it doesn't have to be a waterjet. The previous person I was
working with said their laser wouldn't cut brass. I'm not all that up
on current laser cutting technology, so I wasn't sure if it was just
his model, or a general issue.

I understand about not looking for new work, but thank you for the
additional information.
Todd

My local laser cutter will do brass and copper at limited capacity but
from what I have been told it is very much a choice of the people
operating the laser cutter. The main issue seems to be that some laser
machines run polished copper mirrors and the energy reflected back by
cutting copper and brass can damage that mirror at some expense if the
machine isn't set right. I've had 1.5mm brass cut by laser at the local
place but the cut quality was poor and required cleaning up. I haven't
chased up a local water jet cutter yet but may do in the near future.