Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Basement water: Moving downspout water away from house to sistern

On Apr 12, 2:40*pm, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
I tried that, but I just cannot keep my lawn cutters from squashing the
thing with their tractor.

Most houses have landscaping around the perimeter. If possible, you
could consider a 5 ft wide landscape bed in the area of the
downspout. The corrigated pipe then stops at the edge of the bed.
They even have flexible pipe like that with ends that fit over the
downspout pipe. The bed can be attractive and add value to the
house.

We have a fast draining lot. *It slopes in the back, and is extremely rocky.
Even digging a hole for a very small tree (2' diameter was a chore in
fieldstone removal.

Jay Stootzmann said something like:

The point is to get the water away from the house. *I use solid pipe
which is actually just an extension of my AL downspout -- depending
on the grade of the lawn I've gone either 5' or 10'. *My extension is
solid and gets all of the water away from the house. *I don't use a
drywell or sistern. *The grade of the lawn carries the water off. Works
for me.
"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in
messagenews:KB3Mj.805$mG1.424@trndny08...

I was following the advice in the home depot outdoor projects book
about moving the water from my gutter down-spout to someplace
farther away. But I'm confused on one point.

Should I be using the PVC pipe with holes in it (at 4 and 8 o'clock)
such that the water disperses along 10' of it and the rest ends in a
sistern, or should I be transporting part of the way in solid PVC to
keep even small seepage away from the house?

The only problem is that the non-hole PVC doesn't fit the adapters
needed to connect the downspount--PVC. *A silly thing really,
looks like a conflict in inner vs. outter diameter specs.

So should it be this:

*Downspout--Adapter--(connected somehow)10' Solid PVC--Sistern*

or

*Downspout--Adapter--(connected somehow)4' Solid PVC--10' drainage
PVC--Sistern*

or just the easiest

*Downspout--Adapter---(connects redily)10' drainage PVC--Sistern.*

And *HOW BIG* should the sistern be? *The ground fill is highly rocky
(good) but this downspout manages all the water for half the main
roof, half the baywindow roof, and the porch roof.