Posted to rec.woodworking
DS[_2_] DS[_2_] is offline

Default board feet

DJ Delorie wrote:
People often have problems understanding what a "board foot" is. It's
not a linear distance, despite the term "foot" in it. Yes, we all
know its 144 cubic inches, that doesn't always help people understand
it's a volume measure.

Today I went off on a tangent and came up with a new way of describing
"board feet" to newbies.

It's just over half a gallon of tree (~5/8 gal)

Next time you're trying to describe "board feet" to someone and
they're not getting it, try that and see if it helps.

DJ

Or you could tell them that it's about a fortieth of a cubic cubit.
Or a fourth of a peck.
Or a sixteenth of a bushel.