Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Frank Frank is offline

Default Flying ants or termites?

Walter Cohen wrote:
How do I tell the difference between flying/winged ants and
flying/winged termites?
I have what look like winged ants (black bodies with long wings) that
have been congregating on the inside of a window sill in my home. There
are numerous discarded wings along the floor too.

Any help is appreciated.
Walter

I had same problem years ago. They were flying ants. Flying ants look
like ants whereas termites have a broad waist vs. ants which are
segmented. I had to spray area in garage floor where the ants were
coming from.

Next door neighbor had termites and I got a good look at them as they
were infesting wood near my house. I put stakes around house and they
never came in. Neighbor, however, had wood damage and they had to bait
to kill the colony which was outside.