Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike DeAngelis Mike DeAngelis is offline

Default Roll bar mounting holes

Gentlemen:
I would like to install retractable seat belts in my old Jeep. To do
this I need to have a point on the roll bar to mount the swivel for the
shoulder belt. This is normally attached with a 7/16-20 shoulder bolt. So
what is the safest way to attach the bolt to the roll bar for maximum seat
belt strength and also to not weaken the roll bar? I can think of three
possible ways to do this: Weld a heavy nut to the bar; drill a hole through
the bar, weld in a steel sleeve and use a through bolt; use a riv-nut. I
think the factory used a riv-nut but I am not sure. Any input will be
appreciated.
Thanks...Mike DeAngelis