Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default TOT BT Broadband and External email accounts

In article
s.com, scribeth thus
Hi All,

Sorry i've been a bit quiet, I have been listening.

My wife is being driven round the bend by BT Broadband toyal yahoos or
whatever they are called this month who every so often change someting
(like the name of their outgoing mail server! Without giving any
warning to their customers, or even to their outsourced Indian sub-
continent support droids.

The cynic in me would say that this policy will make them millions
from calls to their support lines!

OK, 5 questions :+))

Simple answer is that you do NOT have to have BT as your service
provider for your broadband service. Although the service runs over BT
wires other ISP's can provide the service.

I'd recommend Ellipse.co.uk as a good all rounder good service and a
call centre based in the UK ! Exeter actually, and part of Kingston
telecoms group the "other" phone provider.

You can also get your own domain and get your e-mail from that like

www.myname.me.uk or similar saves a lot of buggering around.

Setting up your own mail server is fraught with another can of worms.
Just change your ISP for a start, and then setup your own domain though
me.eclipse.co.uk works very well and say good riddance to the present
shower!.

Or if your areas cabled up then look at Virgin media, broadband is one
thing they do quite well

and just go and do it)
--
Tony Sayer