Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Best way to cut glass??

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:27:47 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:
Any comments on scoring 1 side vs both sides before breaking??

I should add that this particular piece of glass I am going to cut is
double thickness from an old storm door. I know that the glass is NOT
tempered.

Old glass can be a lot harder to cut.

BTW, that building I talked about a few months ago that was being torn
down had 4 mirrors 6 or 8 foot wide by 10 foot high each. To buy new
would be 500 dollars a piece, 2000 total, I was told. Despite that,
we offerred them free to a glass guy and he didn't want them. Too
hard to use them without breaking them, or too hard to cut them for
the next location without breaking them. They are 40 years old.

So we left them, and I suppose the new owner who is tearing the
building down will too.