Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Observation port cover? ? ?

I didn't make myself clear -- the warranty expired a few weeks ago.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 5:59 pm, "Ray" wrote:
In August of 2007 our six-unit apartment building installed a Burnham V9A
series boiler (oil burning). The warranty was for one year.

When we had our spring inspection-servicing recently, we discovered that
the
three-inch round glass lens on the rear, which the service manual calls
the
Rear Observation Port Cover, was broken -- undoubtedly from the heat.

Our local service company says this part will cost $215 -- an astounding
amount for a small piece of glass.

My question is, do we really need this thing replaced?

You're quoting a part price and the part is still under warranty, so
why should you have to pick up a material cost? Hopefully your
contract with the boiler installation company included a one year
parts and labor warranty. In some places that's the law, but you'd
have to check for your area.

Small condos and apartments have a knack for using one of the tenants
with barely any knowledge of construction to run the show, then when
there's a problem they find out that the contract was full of holes.
Hopefully that's not yours situation.