Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default A walk-along circular saw plywood ripper.

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote in message
"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:65ecc$47fe8a1f
:

"BoyntonStu" wrote in message

@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
A walk-along circular saw plywood ripper. I put a 4 foot handle on a
circular saw. It was attached to a plywood plate and a right angle
edge, that positions the blade exactly 10" from a ripping guide.

I can rip plywood sitting on 2x4's on the floor by just walking along
guiding the circular saw against the guide. Just like using a lawn
edger.

Very accurate, safe, and convenient.
Holy Cow! Where would one even start with this comment? I'm no safety
nazi, but even I wouldn't be doing this.

I thought about it for a bit, and I think I visually understand what the
OP was describing. It doesn't seem unsafe, or more unsafe than using the
saw normally.

The jig the OP described was a piece of wood that his circular saw sits
on, with a handle from the wood piece up. With the saw on the 2x4s just
above the floor, he can walk next to it controlling it from the handle.

Something like this: _/

If the saw was to hit a hard object and kick back, the saw itself would
probably be flying. Chances are, if it hits you it'd hit your legs. (So
wear shin guards. Doesn't everyone keep a pair next to their tools?)
Negative marks if the OP didn't connect a switch to the handle so he can
shut the saw off there. Another risk would be the saw hits something and
the handle jerks suddenly. You could injure your wrist in this case.
However, when was the last time you saw a saw jump and twist like a drill
that got stuck?

I thought about it too, before I posted. Putting a circular saw on the end
of a 3 or 4 foot stick is just plain stupid. No other way around it. What
kind of control do you really think you can exert over that saw with this
kind of extension? You've never had a circular saw jump, or attempt to jump
in your hand? If not, all I can say is you have not used a circular saw
very much.

Sounds to me like someone is preparing for a run at the Darwin Awards.