Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Tachometer question

Jim Chandler wrote:

SteveB wrote:

I need to set a welding machine drive motor at 2300 RPM as suggested by the
Lincoln tekkie until I can get the circuit board and controlling devices
worked on.

Is there a simple cheap tach that I can buy that will just alligator clamp
onto a spark wire or some other easily accessible place? This is a
Continental four banger.

Steve

Go to your nearest AutoZone, or eqivalent, and you can get a tach that
will handle 4, 6, or 8 cyl for under $50. How soon do you need it? I
have one that I bought for the Corvette when the OEM one was dead but
found there was nowhere to mount the damned thing. I'll let it go for
$40.00. It's new, in the box.

Jim

You can also get a nice little stick on LCD combination hour meter /
tachometer that has a pickup wire that wraps around a spark plug wire.
Places like Northern Tool carry them. They are nice in that they run for
years on a little button cell and display accumulated hours when the
engine isn't running and RPM when it is running.