Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

What do you think about taking oil/gas under the public utility
umbrella? I like the idea but haven't quite thought it through yet.

I haven't thought it through, either, but my instinct is that it's a bad
idea. I don't think the problem is expensive gas. The problem is that we're
so hooked on petroleum. There isn't much chance of solving that issue by
political price-setting measures, which is what you'd have if you had an
"oil commission," or something equivalent to a utilities commission. People
would be screaming to lower prices for oil rather than screaming to develop
alternatives and the politicians wouldn't be able to resist.

I have a great idea, get government out of things completely. The only
thing the government seems to be able to do is introduce market distortions
that ultimately cost us.

I have far more faith in Exxon than Congress.

Wes