Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default New Residential Electrical Service Box Questions, Please

Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Will be replacing a quite old residential electrical service box with a new
150 or 200 amp one in the near future.

Haven't spoken to any electricians yet, but before I do, would like to gain
a bit of knowledge as to
what is state of the art, etc., these days.

e.g.,

a. What brand(s) do I want to ask for, and I guess what's more important,
which to stay away from ?

Avoid stuff like Bryant like the plague.

b. Square D still the preferred one to go with ?
If so, do they have a "good," "better," "best" kind of lineup ?
Which should I specify ? Much of a price difference between ?

Square D QO, not Square D Homeline. Not a huge price difference for a
basic residential panel, probably add $100 to the materials cost. Get a
40 space panel, they fill up a lot faster than you think.

c. Not sure what bells and whistles to ask about.
I guess I want GFE breakers somewhere.
Where should they be put in ?
Any potential problem in having one in the service box if there is already
one or two GFE's on outlets in the circuit ?

Do not put GFCI breakers in the panel, they cost 4x what a GFCI outlet
does and don't provide any more protection. You will need to put AFCI
breakers on any circuits serving bedrooms, but the AFCI breakers are
more reasonably priced.

Other options to look at are the "Surge Breaker" surge suppresser, and
the generator interlock kit if you want to provide a connection point
for a generator.

d. What about "Arc-Fault" breakers, which I've heard about.
What are they, and where would I want them ?

Recent code requirement for circuits serving bedrooms.

e. Is a ground rod required these days for the Gnd/Neutral, per Code ?
Presently, there doesn't seem to be one.

Two 8' ground rods at least 6' apart.

Much thanks; appreciate it.

Bob