Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark[_16_] Mark[_16_] is offline

Default 1/2" shank pattern bits with short cutting lengths?

On Apr 10, 7:14*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

Does anyone know if there are pattern bits available with a1/2"shank
that have shorter cutting lengths? *All of the "standard" bit
manufacturers seem to start their cutting lengths at 1" for the1/2"
shanks. *Unfortunately, this won't do for my project as my template is
1/2" and I need to route out less than1/2" from the work piece. *I
would like to stick with1/2" shanks if possible, to avoid having to
change my collet and because1/2" shanks are sturdier.

I did find one set from Pat Warner, but the set is spendy and I really
only need one bit (I already have longer pattern bits)

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

What type of collet is it? *ER by any chance? *If so, probably ER20?

Collets are around $30... *Might pay to get a collet rather than new bits...
Maybe?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

I actually already have a 1/4" collet for my handheld router. I
simply wanted to stick to 1/2" shank bits if possible, as I find them
to be a little more sturdy.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will likely use a 1/4" shank bit
with a different collet, rather than creating a thicker template.

Mark