Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Any Health & Safety experts in the group? (OT)

"Owain" wrote in message
John wrote:
I was in a city centre chain store today and saw a display stand part way
up a staircase (at a turn). It looked wrong and I rather forcefully told
a member of staff that it was wrong and should be moved immediately!
(pompous git)
Was I right?

1. Obstruction of a designated escape route, being a breach of the Fire
Precautions Act or whatever the new legislation is

2. being a general trip hazard and thus subject to Health and Safety at
Work Act

It is not possible to be certain of either of those without seeing the
situation. A small display in the outer corner of a large rectangular
landing, secured against toppling, would almost certainly pass a risk
assessment under either set of regulations.

3. Staircases are not usually obstructed, so an unexpected obstruction
together with the risk of falling can cause serious problems for visually
or mobility impaired people and thus possibly a breach of Disability
Discrimination Act

The Act only requires retailers to make reasonable provision for the
disabled, not avoid any possible obstruction to them. If, for example, there
is a lift as an alternative to the stairs, that would be a reasonable
provision. As the usual provision for the disabled on a floor served by a
lift is a fire protected safe area, the DDR would not even apply in the case
of a fire.

Colin Bignell