Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

"Jay Ts" wrote in message
ng.com...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Jay Ts" wrote in message
I was amazed at how quickly I started feeling better after I
had my mercury fillings removed.

Whenever I see references to amalgam fillings in this context, I always
wonder just how 'real' the improvement in perceived well-being is.

I feel like I know exactly what you're thinking, because that is
what I used to think too! But I kept meeting people who told me,
"I'm so glad I had it done" that at one point, it was the next
thing to try, to see if I could recover from my chronic health problems.

I don't doubt that you feel better now you have had them removed, but I
really wonder how much of that is because you *expected* to feel better,

I didn't expect to notice *any* improvement right away, and I'd
never heard of that happening. But it did. After the painkillers
wore off and I got a night's sleep, the very next day I got a definite,
very-hard-to-ignore boost in mental acuity, and to use an overused
saying, "felt like a fog had been lifted off me". Nothing else had
changed in my life that could have accounted for that.

I had put off having it done for about 10 years due to the cost,
ordeal of it, and because I never had anything objective to latch
onto to feel confident that it would result in any kind of noticeable
improvement. Other people I've talked to don't get any, but they're
usually still "glad they had it done."

"YMMV" is the simplest answer I can give to you, and there's
not much of any way anyone can tell you in advance what your
experience would be.

I'm interested to know, not
least because I have an amalgam filling in just about every 4 - 8 tooth,
both sides, top and bottom, and have had for 40 years or more since I
was a kid, and they were the 'norm'. Although my memory, particularly
short-term, is not as good as it was, otherwise, I would have rated my
health as 'OK', and not any worse than I would expect for a mid 50's man
with my location and lifestyle.

As compared to say, other people who also have amalgam fillings? ;-)
Unfortunately, that's the rub of it. Heavy metal toxicity is usually
very sneaky. It sinks in gradually, and you can't tell it's there, and
I think for almost all cases, it never gets bad enough to cause acute
symptoms that doctors can diagnose.

But then I heard of a woman (friend of a friend) who was suffering
from MS for many years, and after a lot of other things, she
tried getting her mercury fillings removed. And then she simply
recovered! So who knows? There's no proof that the mercury removal
did it, but she had no other explanation for it. (Miracle?)

BTW, I regret that I cannot reveal personal details about other
people, to protect both them and dentists who remove mercury fillings.
Dentists are still persecuted by the ADA and other organizations in
some areas.

Jay Ts
--
To contact me, use this web page:
http://www.jayts.com/contact.php

Hmmm. Your passion for this subject is clear. I do, however, remain
unconvinced that this is anything other than placebo effect, which has been
shown in proper clinical trials, to be an extremely powerful entity. As far
as I am aware - and I haven't read anything about this for some time - the
human body is not good at removing heavy metal toxins from itself, without
external help, so I would be surprised if your body had managed to just
'clean itself' - especially overnight - of any mercury that might have been
in there as a result of your fillings.

As far as fillings dissolving as a mechanism for getting the mercury into
your body goes, I have some that have been in my mouth untouched for
probably 30 years. All of the saliva / beer / coca cola / lemon juice / tea
/ coffee / other drinks, don't seem to have touched them one iota. If they
are smaller than they were, then it's by a fraction of a mm. I attend a
dentist regularly, and he has not seen fit to replace any of these long-term
fillings through reason of them being worn below what is acceptable for
their function. He has, of course, had to replace the odd one from time to
time over the 35 years that I have known him, for clinical reasons.

Considering the (relatively) small proportion of the filling that is mercury
in the first place, any such mercury ingression as a result of this
dissolution, must be infinitessimally small, and probably absolutely
negligible in comparison to other sources of mercury ingression, such as
airborne from power stations or in the many pounds of tuna fish that I have
eaten over the years. If you could show me a study that didn't call on
hearsay and personal anecdotal evidence, and that could show that a body's
mercury content decreased, or at least arrested in its upward climb after
such fillings had been removed, then I might be more inclined to accept that
there's something in it. Can you show any such study conducted under proper
scientific protocols ?

Arfa