Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design
Jay Ts Jay Ts is offline

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

Archimedes' Lever wrote:
Jay Ts wrote:

Some dentists even have something like a DMM to check electric
potentials of each filling, to make sure to take them out in the proper
order.

Bull****. A filling is so small that no meter made can read the
resistance of it, nor is there an instrument than can measure any subtle
differences from one to the next. That is aside from the fact that one
would have to have the filling out to be able to access it across its
breadth in order to take any such reading to begin with.

Total and utter bull****.

Thank you so kindly for your warm reception to my post.

I was merely passing on the information because I had
found it amusing. I thought it was fun to mention it and
go "on topic" for the newsgroup as a change of pace.
But you didn't seem to get the intent or the joke. I
am so sorry.

They don't measure resistance. To re-include the
full context:

| Some dentists even have something like a DMM to check electric
| potentials of each filling, to make sure to take them out in
| the proper order. I'm not kidding! (And no, I don't have any
| idea if the theory that is based on is really scientifically
| grounded or not.)

I put it right there in front of you: They measure ELECTRIC
POTENTIAL otherwise known as "VOLTAGE", between a filling
and a reference point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_potential

It has to do with electricity... different metals
in a salty solution, currents and movement of metal ions.
Of course, there's absolutely no physics behind that,
right?

Seriously, I don't know if tiny currents in
the mouth could dislodge enough mercury to cause
a problem, ok? The people who come up with these
ideas are dentists, not physicists. Sometimes they
are just off on some parts. But I haven't read
Dr. Huggins' book, so I shouldn't knock him without
listening openmindedly first. The guy has saved a
lot of people. Take a look at the reader comments on
his book at Amazon.com.

Is Rosie O'Retard your favorite celebrity?

Other than your mention of it, I have no awareness
of that entity. Apparently, you are much more of a fan than I.

Again, thanks very much for your post, I think
that made my day.

Peace and Happiness,

Jay Ts
--