Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler and Fire Front Replacement

Steve wrote:
John wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

SNIP

Anyway, had a new Alpha CD32C condensing combi installed in the loft
and it's brilliant - *very* efficient and so costs a *lot* less to
run than the 552.

We left the isolated back boiler in place so that we could continue
to use the fire until we do a refurb on that room in a year or two.

John

Hmm, was afraid that was going to be the answer.

Out of curiosity John, what was involved with that....I guess it's
floors up throughout etc? How about cost? (If you don't mind me
asking)

Don't mind you asking at all Steve )

Some people will call us daft for doing it this way but......

The existing pipework and radiators were an original install from when the
house was built, over 40 years ago. New rads are more efficient because they
have a greater surface area for letting out the heat, and also they aren't
full of 40-years-worth of crud. I know we could have had the system
powerflushed but I still think there might have been a bit of crud left
somewhere that could eventually dislodge and find its way into the brand new
boiler to wreack (sp?) untold damage - not to mention that the old stuff may
not cope with being pressurised and may have sprung leaks everywhere.

Also thrown into the mix is the fact that we are now both 50-years old and
can't see ourselves moving from here until we're carried out in the old
wooden boxes, so we decided to go the whole hog and have a complete new
system installed, so yes, you're right - floors up throughout, lots of mess
and upheaval - but once it's done, it's done. We actually had it done while
we were away for the week so missed all that )

This was about 2 years ago now and, IIRC, cost somewhere around £2,750 (in
Preston, Lancashire - not silly London prices ))

HTH,

John