Posted to rec.woodworking
G Mulcaster G Mulcaster is offline

Default Makita 2030 Planer-Jointer question

I have a Makita 2030 Planer-Jointer and the jointer infeed table needs
adjusting.

Does anyone know how to adjust these? No luck at the Makita manuals
download site.

Thanks for any help.

On a 29 inch long infeed table that might not be a lot. Is there any
chance there is a technique issue or maybe blades too proud?

Just checked. Blades are level with the outfeed table. That is, if I
place the two pieces of teak on the rear bed, the cutters barely touch
the teak. Ditto if I raise the infeed table level with the outfeed
table. When the pieces lay across both beds, the cutters barely
touch them.

Looking
at my Makita I see no adjustment. Unless the jointer really got wacked
I would suspect it was dead on from the factory. I do not have a
certified straight edge but my 6' level show no problems on my Makita
2030.

The 2030 is quite old, and has been dead on until this year. (An
exception noted below).

Are you ignoring the pointer on the jointer and testing this with a
known good straight edge at least 5 feet long? That pointer adjusts.
Are you sayin when you place a 6 foot straghtedge on both beds and
crank the infeed up to even with the outfeed by the cutter that 29"
from the cutter you observe a 1/32" gap?

Yes. I use a 6' straight edge. When I lay it on the tables, the
straightedge is flush with the whole length of the outfeed table. It
contacts the cutter end of the infeed table and a 1/32" gap shows at
the other end of the infeed table.

If the infeed table is caddywompus there are 4 bolt underneath that
may allow for minor shifting to adjust a twisted infeed table. You
need an anti-caddywompus guage though.

Can't find the bolts - nor do I see them in the manual (2030N).

How about a picture?

I don't think the gap will show.

I'm thinking it might be a temperature problem. I now recall having
the same issue last Winter when I once tried to use it in my unheated
garage. During the following Summer there was no problem. This year
my garage is heated and I'm now in there often. Since I only have the
heat on during the day, the machine (which is a big chunk of metal
subject to heating/cooling effects) may not warm up enough. We have
some warm weather on the way to check my theory.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Gary