Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mark mark is offline

Default pipe benders for aluminum

On Apr 9, 5:51*pm, Ronald Thompson
wrote:
mark wrote:
On Apr 1, 10:24 am, RoyJ wrote:
Same as they work on steelpipe. That is to say they work ok, you get
distortion in the bend area, measuring the bend is a pain, and the
springback is pretty remarkable.

mark wrote:
How do the cheappipebenderswork on schedule 40 aluminumpipe?- Hide quoted text -

I bought a 16 ton air/hydraulic bender with dies up to 3" yesterday. I
tried it on some 3/4" sch 40 aluminum and it cracked wide open, also
3/4" sch 40 steel pipe kinked/folded . If I try to anneal the aluminum
with my oxy/acetelyne torch how do I know how hot to get it and do I
just let it cool in the air? Would annealing the steel pipe make any
difference. Thanks

Maybe you are using the wrong die. The pipe should fit fairly snug in
the die, if there is too much wiggle room side to side it will kink.
If there is too much room and you are using the closest die you have,
you may have some luck by using shims in the die. shims can be plate
steel or sometimes plywood.

--

Ron Thompson
Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are hehttp://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/

Visit the castinghobby FAQ:http://castinghobbywiki.plansandprojects.com/

The member map is hehttp://www.frappr.com/castinghobby

This ain't football, you can't just sit in a computer chair and memorize
facts.
-Ron Thompson- Hide quoted text -

There might be 1/16" of play but I am using the right die. I also
tried 1" sch 40 and it bent well but flatened out a tiny bit.