Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default can I make long cables, other than co-ax cables

On Apr 4, 7:32*pm, mm wrote:
I have co-ax cable run through my whole house, so I can watch in
almost any room what is playing on the VCR in my bedroom. *It works
great. *Can I now do the same thing with either RCA or S-video cables?

RF cabling with F connectors is broadband, carries multiple
channels, and is compatible with multiple drops and
both NTSC and ATSC (digital) video + audio.
Splitters are passive devices, and automatic gain
control at each receiver makes it all work.

RCA usually is NTSC composite video, so you'd need
three cables (stereo sound R, L, and video) to replace
RF. You'll only ever have one channel on it.
Splitting or multiple-room drops will probably require
powered amplification (SOME systems might have
switchable termination, but most don't).

S-video is usually NTSC luma (baseband analog) video
and NTSC chroma on two separate wires. So, with
stereo sound, it takes four cables and you only get one
channel. Again, splitting requires multiple amplifier output
channels.

The only one of these three options that will work for digital
broadcast and tolerate single-cable runs with taps or branches is
the regular old F connector RF/CATV. You're best off
sticking wth it.