Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default 1/2" shank pattern bits with short cutting lengths?

Mark wrote:
On Apr 9, 4:03 pm, dpb wrote:
Mark wrote:
Does anyone know if there are pattern bits available with a 1/2" shank
that have shorter cutting lengths? All of the "standard" bit
manufacturers seem to start their cutting lengths at 1" for the 1/2"
shanks. Unfortunately, this won't do for my project as my template is
1/2" and I need to route out less than 1/2" from the work piece. ...

Surely there are, but ottomh I don't have a specific vendor.

Why not just add a spacer between the template and the workpiece?

--

A spacer is a decent plan B, but I would like to avoid it if I can.
The reason is that I will be template routing two sides of the

No more difficult if the spacer is affixed permanently to the template.
Actually, what I probably would do would be to use the template to cut
the spacer to in essence make a thicker template.