Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default pipe benders for aluminum

mark wrote:
On Apr 1, 10:24 am, RoyJ wrote:

Same as they work on steelpipe. That is to say they work ok, you get
distortion in the bend area, measuring the bend is a pain, and the
springback is pretty remarkable.

mark wrote:

How do the cheappipebenderswork on schedule 40 aluminumpipe?- Hide quoted text -

I bought a 16 ton air/hydraulic bender with dies up to 3" yesterday. I
tried it on some 3/4" sch 40 aluminum and it cracked wide open, also
3/4" sch 40 steel pipe kinked/folded . If I try to anneal the aluminum
with my oxy/acetelyne torch how do I know how hot to get it and do I
just let it cool in the air? Would annealing the steel pipe make any
difference. Thanks

Quick-N-dirty anneal.

Soot the area to be annealed, with an acet flame. Heat till all gone.

Or, scribble on area with Sharpie marker, heat till gone.

Not perfect, but it works.

Cheers
Trev