Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mark mark is offline

Default pipe benders for aluminum

On Apr 1, 10:24*am, RoyJ wrote:
Same as they work on steelpipe. That is to say they work ok, you get
distortion in the bend area, measuring the bend is a pain, and the
springback is pretty remarkable.

mark wrote:
How do the cheappipebenderswork on schedule 40 aluminumpipe?- Hide quoted text -

I bought a 16 ton air/hydraulic bender with dies up to 3" yesterday. I
tried it on some 3/4" sch 40 aluminum and it cracked wide open, also
3/4" sch 40 steel pipe kinked/folded . If I try to anneal the aluminum
with my oxy/acetelyne torch how do I know how hot to get it and do I
just let it cool in the air? Would annealing the steel pipe make any
difference. Thanks