Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neon screwdrivers

newshound wrote:
wrote in message
On 9 Apr,
wrote:

Of course, that completely ignores the false negative potential for
them, and that is the real problem with them.

you should always test the tester before /and/ after use, which will
minimise
false negatives. If you understand how they work, /and/ their
limitations you
can't go far wrong. This applies to all test proceedures.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Well said. Did anyone actually answer the original question? The neon
tube is in series with a big resistor, about 1 Megohm if I recall
correctly, so that only a fraction of a milliamp goes through you;
this does you no harm but is quite enough to light up the neon.

I think I prefer 'no' electricity goes through you :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk