Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Any Health & Safety experts in the group? (OT)

"John" wrote in message
I was in a city centre chain store today and saw a display stand part way
up a staircase (at a turn). It looked wrong and I rather forcefully told a
member of staff that it was wrong and should be moved immediately! (pompous
git)

Was I right?

I can only think of one absolute in the guidelines to the Regulations made
under the H&SW Act - the minimum height for a guard rail. Everything else is
couched in terms like sufficient or reasonable, so there it would be
impossible to say whether it was a hazard under the Act without seeing it.
However, it might well be hazard under fire safety regulations if the
staircase was an escape route - which it probably was. Drawing a potential
hazard to the attention of a member of staff is quite correct. Telling one
about it forcefully is, however, likely to be counter-productive.

Colin Bignell