Fitz

Default Fitting (heavy) stone resin shower in alcove - how?

"Lobster" wrote in message news

I'm in the midst of installing a large stone resin shower tray;

snip

Anyone done this before?

Yes. Well, it was only a 760x760 but it's heavier than I can lift
with my arms extended horizontally and I'm sure the principal is the
same...

I can't think of an easy way to do it, certainly
not without crippling nyself. How critical is the integrity of the mortar
bed - am I worrying too much about it?

It needs to support the tray evenly. If there is a big area
unsuported the manufacturers claim all manner of doom related to the
tray cracking. Despite this some people claim succesful installations
using other substances such as silicon sealant.

The method I used, which I originally gleaned from this group, is to
place a couple of thin battens from front to back a little way in from
the edges. Lay the bed of mortar fairly firm, but with a bit of give
and make sure that it is level.

Place the tray onto the battens using a combination of lifting,
lowering, levering and swearing.

Slide the tray right to the back.

Extract the battens. Allowing the tray to plop into place. Ensure it
is level. If it's not, you can try and adjust it, but there's really
not much give.

I'm not sure whether the gap left by the battens is sealed up by the
weight or if it doesn't really matter because it's so small. Probably
a bit of both.

Oh yes, one more thing. Get it right first time.

--

Steve F