Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Neon screwdrivers

wrote:
On 9 Apr, 00:25, Owain wrote:
They are too likely to fail dangerous and hurt somebody, and too likely

Owain

I've read this before - any links to this actually happening? Surely
B&Q wouldn't be selling them for £1.99 if there was anything more than
a very remote possibility of someone electrocuting themselves through
"proper" use of the tool. Failures to the extent that are likely to
harm must be incredibly rare.

I have never really considered failure of the tool to be a major issue
(i.e. it conducting more than it should).

Of course, that completely ignores the false negative potential for
them, and that is the real problem with them. Though again they

Yup, I have been bitten by that - once many years ago testing the end of
a live cable to see if I had pulled the right fuse from the CU. Touched
it on the live conductor - no light. Fortunately a little voice
somewhere seemed to doubt - so I shorted live to earth with the tip of
the driver just to make absolutely sure. Flash pop, and the driver
removed itself from the gene pool with a somewhat molten end where the
screwdrivery bit used to be!

--
Cheers,

John.