Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neon screwdrivers

Owain wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:
How are they supposed to work?
I tagged one of these onto the end of a TLC order just to get an ok
electrician's-sized screwdriver. I don't intend to use the alleged
"testing" facility, but I'm curious how it's supposed to work. It
looks like it's meant to be touched to a live terminal and have the
current flow up the shaft, through a capsule which I assume is the
bulb, and then go via a brass end-cap *into my hand*. The last part
of that I'm not particularly keen on.

This is why they are Not Allowed to be used in workplaces.

I assume that, while they're not well-regarded by most here, neon
screwdrivers don't actually electrocute their owners during intended
use.

IF they are working correctly. That's a big if.

Is it just that the current flow is very small, and almost all the
voltage is across the neon? Can anyone with a better grasp of
electrical theory explain?

Basically yes.

They are too likely to fail dangerous and hurt somebody, and too
likely to give a false positive or negative, that they are completely
unsuited to the task and not fit for purpose. A proper electrical
tester is much better.

Always test the tester against a known voltage, then test the unknown
wire, then test the tester again, to be certain you aren't getting a
false reading.

I've followed that advice since you first mentioned it & feel a lot safer,
so thanks for that.

I have a non contact 'voltstick' which is used as you describe. Always
wondered though, why does it light up if waved rapidly from side to side?
No idea how they work.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk