Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
jloomis jloomis is offline

Default Re-Roofing a Geodesic Dome. What Fun!

Hi Owen, I have worked on many homes, ventilated and not......
The "not" are the problem homes.....
I now provide a good "air space above insulation" and that can be done by
providing air flow with lightweight plywood over the insulated
structure.....
Also new building codes are making it hard to create this space due to
fire.....
so, solid insulation is the next step......
It is a tough building aspect........
jloomis
"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message
"jloomis" wrote in message
I am working on a Geodesic Dome Re-Roof.
I did the construction several years ago to the 2 attached buildings.
The Geodesic Dome is nasty.....There is no ventilation in the traingle
shapes....It was insulated with standard batt insulation and sheetrocked
interior......No place for the water vapor to vent.....
The owner knows it, I really cannot fix the problem other than re-roof
it.....
What a job......
All the cells are enclosed.......
What can you do?
any ideas welcome....
jloomis

It's long been a dream of mine to build a geodesic dome house. My wife
has been balking at the idea, but she just took a cursory glance at your
photo and said, "Looks nice," and walked away. Rock and roll!

I'm sorry to hear about the water problem, especially since I live in
Ottawa where cold air meeting warm is a serious issue. I've actually been
wondering about having two concentric domes, just so there's room for
insulation and "breathing". I spoke casually with an architect friend a
couple of weeks ago and he discouraged the idea of using shingles,
favouring metal instead. In your case that would only exacerbate the
problem.

Until now my biggest concern was fire, since I heard it can spread quickly
in this kind of structure. The water issue might just trump that one by a
fraction. But somehow my gut tells me there is a good solution to all of
these problems. Just not sure what it is yet.

Thanks for your post! I'd love to hear and see more, if you're inclined
to share it.

- Owen -