Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Behning Jim Behning is offline

Default Makita 2030 Planer-Jointer question

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 03:05:21 GMT, G Mulcaster
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 20:20:01 -0400, "BobS" wrote:

"G Mulcaster" wrote in message
. ..
Hi folks,

I have a Makita 2030 Planer-Jointer and the jointer infeed table needs
adjusting.

Does anyone know how to adjust these? No luck at the Makita manuals
download site.

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Gary

The site has the 2030N manual

http://www.makita.com/assets_product...uals/2030N.pdf

and it shows the adjustment knob in Fig 27 and on the parts breakdown on
page 23. Look for some kind of screw lock for the infeed table height
adjustment - most jointers have some sort of locking device on that
adjustment.

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the fig 27 and page 23 knob is for
adjusting the infeed bed for depth of cut. No problem there.

My question was poorly worded.

The problem is one of alignment of the infeed and outfeed beds. The
infeed bed has a 1/32" sag at the entry end. That is, if I bring the
beds to zero cut and place a straight edge on the beds, a gap is
visible at the end of the entry bed farthest from the cutters. As a
result, the wood being jointed develops a convex curve.

I'm looking for a way to adust the alignment so both beds are exactly
parallel with each other.

Regards, Ga

On a 29 inch long infeed table that might not be a lot. Is there any
chance there is a technique issue or maybe blades too proud? Looking
at my Makita I see no adjustment. Unless the jointer really got wacked
I would suspect it was dead on from the factory. I do not have a
certified straight edge but my 6' level show no problems on my Makita
2030.

Are you ignoring the pointer on the jointer and testing this with a
known good straight edge at least 5 feet long? That pointer adjusts.
Are you sayin when you place a 6 foot straghtedge on both beds and
crank the infeed up to even with the outfeed by the cutter that 29"
from the cutter you observe a 1/32" gap?

If the infeed table is caddywompus there are 4 bolt underneath that
may allow for minor shifting to adjust a twisted infeed table. You
need an anti-caddywompus guage though.

How about a picture?