Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Neon screwdrivers

Pete Verdon wrote:

How are they supposed to work?

You touch the tip on something live or not, and they may light up or not.

I tagged one of these onto the end of a TLC order just to get an ok
electrician's-sized screwdriver. I don't intend to use the alleged
"testing" facility, but I'm curious how it's supposed to work. It looks
like it's meant to be touched to a live terminal and have the current
flow up the shaft, through a capsule which I assume is the bulb, and
then go via a brass end-cap *into my hand*. The last part of that I'm
not particularly keen on.

Yup, is about right - your provide the neutral path.

I assume that, while they're not well-regarded by most here, neon
screwdrivers don't actually electrocute their owners during intended
use.

No, that is usually when they do try to electrocute you. You stick the
driver on a live wire, it neglects to light, so you go ahead and touch
the wire!

--
Cheers,

John.