Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Clausing 5914 chatter -- solved at last

On 2008-04-08, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-04-06, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[ ... ]

Man does Kennametal have a big catalog. What I didn't see was a
comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods of
holding inserts.

Typically, I think that you pick a system which matches what you
already have. At least that is what I did -- starting with a couple of
good holder from eBay auctions along with 100 matching inserts for each. :-)

I'm leaning towards buying new, not wanting to wait a year to get lucky.
Now you know that the day after I order the new item, three fine used
items will turn up on eBay, for a third the price.

O.K. That will get you started anyway. :-) My preference
(starting new) would be to get the BXA-16N (negative rake) with
positive/negative inserts for it, and then get the straight pointed ones
(and perhaps other tools) for the same inserts. You'll need something
different for threading inserts anyway. For those, I prefer the laydown
tools to the stand-up ones -- easier to adjust for pitch angle with
anvils.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564