Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default work bench/ B&D Work mate

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:04:03 +0000, Fred wrote:

Hello,

Some years ago I bought a cheap and cheerful Black & Decker 301 work
bench, as sold by Toolstation but IIRC sold cheaper in Focus. Over the
years it has been fine but the bolts have wriggled loose and I'm
wondering whether to get out my spanners and build it back together or
buy a better model. Time has taken its toll and the work bench now has
bits missing that have been drilled or sawn or planed off
accidentally!

Toolstation sell a bigger, more sturdy B&D workmate but it is much
more expensive. They also sell a model halfway between the two, both
in appearance and price. I read a review of this middle model but
apparently the downside is that it is a different height to the other
models so if you are hoping to use two benches either end of a piece
of wood, the wood will slant!

I think the idea of using two this way is good but I don't think my
budget will stretch to two of the big models. What would you do? get
two cheap ones or one expensive one?

TIA

Two cheap ones and a few assorted clamps can be very versatile. This is
particularly true if you need to plane or rout long pieces of wood. Many
of the clever features of the more expensive benches may be so rarely used
that they're not really worth the extra cost.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux