Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:14:40 -0700, stratus46 wrote:

On Apr 3, 7:13*pm, exray wrote:
wrote:

You mean the fumes from the flux. You don't believe you're

breathing
solder vapors, do you? In the 40+ years I've been using solder, I
doubt I've used 5 lbs and I do quite a bit of soldering.

GG

I've never turned on my shop spectrometer to determine if it was

the
flux or solder. *I just know that the new stuff doesn't smell as
friendly to my human nose.

40+ years, 5 pounds, yadda,yadda...how much 'new' solder have you

used?
* I suspect you're just trying to pick a fight. *I'm not playing.

*See ya.

Heavens no. I don't fight. I just try to state facts to the best of my
knowledge with as little embellishment as I can. I don't know about
your soldering tools but we now use only Metcal soldering stations at
work besides my personal one at home. Point is a Metcal has a very
well defined temperature not likely to vaporize solder - though what
tool would?

Apparently, a VERY HOT iron would:
http://www.bmed.mcgill.ca/REKLAB/man...370_solder.pdf
"...BOILING RANGE
Flux chars above 250°C. The vapor pressure of lead may be significant
above 500°C."

Cheers!
Rich